We’re safe!

Did you know many of the ingredients in common household cleaning products have been linked to asthma, cancer, reproductive disorders, hormone disruption and neurotoxicity? Yikes, right!? Manufacturers tell us that in “small amounts” these toxic ingredients aren’t “likely” to be a problem, but when exposed to them routinely, and in combinations that haven’t been studied (what!?), it’s impossible to accurately gauge the risks.
 
We live in a world where you cannot completely avoid exposure to toxic chemicals, but it is possible to reduce them significantly. That is why I’ve been slowly phasing out the traditional cleaning products and replacing them with a better alternative. And, I’m happy to report The Cottage is now cleaned with nontoxic products – safe for my guests, the environment and especially for the cleaning staff (aka, me!).
 
If you want to save a few bucks you can easily make your own (with ingredients your great grandmother probably used) or, if you’re lazy like me, purchase the alternatives from the store. Just make sure to read the label on some of these “green,” “biodegradable,” or “natural” products because that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s nontoxic!
 
I’ve found the best place to look up the toxicity level of a product is the Environmental Working Group. They’re an independent organization and do all the research for you.

 

http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
 
Published by Amy on: Jan 18, 2017

Help Share Local Greatness!